Monday, January 26, 2015

Words

The English language never ceases to fascinate me. I always hear people complaining about how confusing it is and wondering why there are so many rules it doesn't follow. Don't be overly annoyed at my optimistic outlook, but I like to think of it as a big exciting challenge to conquer and overcome. Once you've mastered it, the language and all it's millions of wonderful words are yours to use any way you want to use them. And believe me, there are so much more words with all kinds of meanings and connotations and sounds than the ones you encounter on a daily basis. Using just the right combination of words to express exactly how you feel is one of the most satisfying feelings and just imagine how much more interesting everything would be if we used better vocabulary in our day to day life!

So, in a quest to expand my own vocabulary, I'm going to start posting new word posts every week or so. Today's word is: avuncular. It means "of or relating to an uncle". So if someone has an avuncular appearance, they look like they could be your uncle. I think it's a rather charming little adjective, don't you? Makes me think of a round, mustached, twinkly eyed little man who likes to read stories to the children. That particular species of uncle is becoming quite rare, unfortunately. But the word avuncular belongs to him and only him:)

Thanks for bearing with me and my optimism. But don't worry I'm not optimistic about everything, don't even get me started on math!

Love,

3 comments:

  1. haha:) isn't that a fantastic word? thanks for reading, Gunkular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha:) isn't that a fantastic word? thanks for reading, Gunkular.

    ReplyDelete